Wondering how to wear a medical mask correctly?
Recently, due to the new Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, the surgical mask has become a need in the community. Not only do you have to wear a mask, how to wear it correctly is also a key factor. So, we are going to teach you how.
When to use a medical mask?
- If you don’t have any sickness, you only need to wear a medical mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected COVID-19.
- Only when you are coughing or sneezing.
- A combination of wearing a mask with frequent hand-cleaning is only effective.
- When you wear a medical mask, you must know how to use it and dispose of it correctly.
Correct ways to wear and remove a medical mask
(based on WHO guidelines)
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Correct ways to wear and remove a medical mask (based on WHO guidelines)
- Before putting on a mask, clean your hands with hand sanitiser (hospital grade) or soap and water.
Sanitizing hands with alcohol-based hand rub
Washing hands with soap and water
- Cover your mouth and nose with mask and ensure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
- Avoid touching the mask while using it;
If you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Replace your mask with a new one if it is damp and NEVER re-use the mask.
- To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask);
Dispose it immediately in a closed bin; clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
If you haven’t read about out post about which type of hand sanitizer you should use, do refer to this article.
Would you like to watch a VIDEO instead?
Watch the video below from World Health Organization(WHO) about the steps on how to wear a medical mask correctly :